I don’t know about you, but things have been crazy around here! I had two terrible viruses at the same time (lucky me), prepared a huge Thanksgiving dinner for my family, I’m working on my daughter’s upcoming birthday party, and of course there’s Christmas – and all the parties and shopping that go with it. Whew, I’m just tired after typing that!
Last week in the midst of all of this, I was nominated for a Liebstar Award by Pretty Happy Baking, how sweet is that?! The Liebstar Award is given to up-and-coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. “Liebster” is German for “Beloved, Dearest, or Favorite” and the award is intended to shine a spotlight on blogs deserving of some recognition.
Well, I’m honored. So thank you Allie from Pretty Happy Baking!
11 Random Facts About Myself
1. I dislike licorice.
2. I love children.
3. I march to my own beat – my husband calls it “not conforming,” and I like to ponder conspiracy theories of trivial things.
4. Decorating desserts with sprinkles makes me insanely happy.
5. I’ve been married for 10 years and I still can’t communicate with my husband – I get a lot of vacant stares and furrowing of the brow.
6. I’m a realist by nature, and if I had a motto it would be “own it.”
7. I was a makeup artist during college at a local department store.
8. I wear flip-flops all year (Chaco’s are my favorite) – until the freezing temperatures make it absolutely unbearable.
9. We were stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, and I never tired of my house shaking from artillery or the low flying planes. Absolutely loved it.
10. As a Marine wife, I’m “semper gumby” – always flexible. Yep, that’s me. I didn’t make that up by the way.
11. My husband says I’m addicted to baking, and online shopping.
My Answers to Pretty Happy Baking’s Questions:
1. Favorite recipe That’s like picking a favorite child – I can’t do it! However, “off the record” I’m rather fond of macarons.
2. Ingredient you can’t live without Sugar – brown sugar, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, sanding sugar. . .you get the idea!
3. Recipe you can’t wait to try Dark Chocolate Cookie Crisps
4. Favorite dessert growing up Nilla Wafer Custard
5. Best baking/cooking advice you ever received It’s like anything else, the more you practice the better you become.
6. Who taught you to bake I’m self-taught – using my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.
7. Unique replacement ingredient in a time of need You know, in baking it really depends. If I’m out of eggs, I’ll go buy them, that’s too hard to replicate. But if I’m out of sour cream and I have plain yogurt, that’ll work. There’s only one person I know actually brave enough to use a fruit yogurt as a replacement ingredient in a savory dip – you know who you are.
8. Describe your baking style with three adjectives Decadent, delicious, and colorful.
9. Favorite cooking/baking tool It’s a tie between my rubber scrapers and whisks. Can’t have enough of those!
10. Favorite cookbook Better Homes and Gardens has never let me down.
11. Recipe that you or your family make every holiday season Every Christmas we make chocolate covered cherries with homemade fondant.
This is the point where I’m supposed to nominate another 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers. I’ll be honest, I’m behind the curve on the follower thing, so I’m going to diverge a bit (this is where that nonconformist thing comes in) and give you a list of 11 of my favorite bloggers that I think you’d enjoy (if you don’t already know them, give them a look).
1. The Girl Who Ate Everything
2. High Heels & Grills
4. Celebrations at Home
5. Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
6. Everyday Occasions by Jenny Steffens Hobick
7. Lulu the Baker
8. Smells Like Home
9. My Insanity
11. a farmgirl’s dabbles